Thursday, June 02, 2005

Almost French


Paris - 1997 is my attempt at making an antique looking postcard. This was the view outside of our hotel room on my first trip to Paris. I loved waking up during the night to see the Eiffel Tower lit up it in all its splendor. The one thing I didn't like seeing in the daylight, however, were antennaes and satellite dishes on the rooftops! Back in '97 I had no idea that in a few years I would be able to manipulate photographs in such a way as to eliminate wires, cars, people and satellite dishes! If only I had known!

For the past few weeks I've been slowly savoring a book, "Almost French" by Sarah Turnbull. In between the mystery reading marathon I've been on (one book a day) I read a couple of chapters in Turnbull's book and go to sleep dreaming about Paris. Reading this book is almost as good as a decadent dessert. I've walked many of the streets she talks about and can visualize places that she describes and I know that I will be slightly depressed when I've reached the end of the book.

Life being what it has been for the past five years I doubt that I will do much traveling in the future. Sometimes that bothers me and other times I know that I will carry the memories of traveling to Europe with me for the rest of my life. Thanks heavens for books like "Almost French" that help me to relive the experiences and adventures that I had in '97 and 2000.

No comments: